Chef Ben Kramer,
This salad was inspired by Chef Ben’s daughter Heidi—an avid gardener who tries to grow everything for which she can find seeds. This mayonnaise-free salad travels well and is made with foods that Heidi loves and grows in Chef Ben’s family garden.
226g new potatoes
113g green beans, ends trimmed
113g asparagus tips
1 ear of corn
226g assorted greens (lettuces, dandelion greens etc.)
¼ cucumber, seeded, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
12 cherry tomatoes
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 radishes, thinly sliced
½ apple, cored and thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 ½ Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 ½ Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
¾ cup olive oil
1. In a small bowl combine garlic, Dijon mustard, lemon juice and red wine vinegar.
2. Slowly whisk in olive oil.
3. Taste dressing with a lettuce leaf and adjust seasoning to taste.
1. Place potatoes in a small pot of cold water, add 2 Tbsp salt and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer. Cook until tender when pierced with a paring knife (approx 15 min). Drain. Cool in fridge.
2. Once cooled, peel potatoes and thinly slice.
3. Bring three small saucepans of water to boil over high heat. Salt each pot.
5. Blanch beans, asparagus and corn in the pot. Cook until vegetables are tender but still a bit crisp. About 3 min for asaparagus and corn, 4 min for beans.
6. Cool vegetables in a large bowl filled with water and ice to stop the cooking process.
7. Cut the corn off the cob.
8. Toss the greens and the vegetables with vinaigrette just prior to serving.
Yield 4 servings