Chef Grant Mitchell,
Regional ingredients are showcased in this light main dish. Two of the province’s most popular freshwater fish pair perfectly with the delicate nuttiness of hemp seed.
2 cups salted butter, room temperature
2 Tbsp capers
2 Tbsp caper brine
zest and juice of two lemons
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cracked black pepper
4 large pickerel fillets, bones removed
2 cups hemp seeds
4 Tbsp northern pike caviar
2 bunches fresh watercress
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp olive oil
1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients.
2. Place in refrigerator to harden.
1. In a shallow dish, place hemp seeds. Press each fillet into seeds to coat.
2. In a frying pan over medium-high heat, add butter and olive oil. Cook fillets in pan for 3-4 mins on each side until golden.
3. Serve fillets on top of watercress. Top with lemon-caper butter and 1 Tbsp caviar.
Yield 4 servings