Belinda and Carol Bigold,
High Tea Bakery
High tea is still observed in Australia, and petit fours are a common complement. These gorgeous petit fours are an ideal hostess gift when dressed up in a cute gift box. Packaged rolled fondant can be purchased at Scoop ‘N Weigh or Michaels.
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 Tbsp butter
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
7 cups icing sugar
1/3 cup white corn syrup
1/3 cup boiling water
1 small jar raspberry jam
1 pkge white rolled fondant
food colouring, as desired
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. With a mixer, beat eggs, vanilla and sugar until pale yellow, and double in bulk. Add sifted dry ingredients.
3. In a saucepan, bring milk and butter to a boil.
4. On low speed, slowly add hot milk to mixing bowl. Only mix to combine, finish folding together by hand.
4. Pour in greased and floured 9″x12″ pan. Bake 30-35 mins.
1. Sift icing sugar into bowl of mixer.
2. In a separate bowl, dissolve corn syrup in boiling water.
3. Slowly add syrup to icing sugar, mixing constantly until smooth and there are no lumps.
4. Tint with desired food colouring.
5. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside.
1. With a knife, trim edges of baked cake until level. Cake has to be approx 1″ thick, too thick and petit four will topple when iced.
2. Horizontally cut cake to form two layers.
3. Spread thin layer of jam on bottom layer. Place second layer, cut side down, on top of jam.
4. On parchment paper, unroll package of fondant into a rectangle. With a rolling pin, roll fondant as thin as possible.
5. Spread a thin layer of poured fondant on top of assembled cake.
6. Lay rolled fondant on top and trim excess.
7. Wrap fondant cake in cellophane and freeze for at least 30 mins.
8. Remove from freezer and cut into desired shapes with either cutters or a knife.
9. Place cut pieces on a cooling rack. Place baking tray underneath to catch drips.
10. Put poured fondant in piping bag with a 1/4″ opening.
11. Working from the centre out, pipe poured fondant over petit four, making sure it falls down the sides. Allow cakes to set for 1 hr.
12. Decorate petit fours as desired.
Yield 4 dozen