Goat and Beet Salad
Courtesy of Bryan Baker – Prairie Ink Restaurant + Bakery
4 cups chopped lettuce
1 large beet
2 mandarin oranges
1/4 cup candied walnuts
1/4 cup orange balsamic dressing
1/2 cup goat cheese, crumbled
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt
1 Tbsp water
Orange Balsamic Dressing
2 1/4 cups orange juice
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 orange, juiced and zested
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp cumin
1 1/3 cups olive oil
1. Cut off each end of the beet and place in a pot of boiling water for 30 minutes.
2. Cool and peel by hand.
3. Cut in half crosswise and slice into even pieces.
1. To a pan on med-low heat, add all candied nut ingredients except walnuts.
2. Bring to a low boil and boil until mixture reaches a caramel consistency and colour.
3. Add walnuts, mix and remove from heat.
4. Spread out to cool before adding to salad.
1. Wash lettuce of preference.
2. Divide lettuce between two bowls
3. Whisk together all ingredients for dressing
4. Add each of the salad ingredients to each bowl, dividing evenly.
Yield 2 servings