Chef Gerard pairs this hearty stew with classic soda bread from the local stalwart, Gunn’s Bakery.
1 lb leg of mutton, or spring lamb leg or loin, cubed
1 large white onion, diced large
2 medium carrots, diced large
2 large potatoes peeled, cooked and diced large
2 Tbsp cooking oil
1 cup braising liquid (dry wine and/or stock)
flour, to thicken
1. In a medium saucepan, heat oil and brown meat on all sides.
2. Pour liquid over meat and cover with a lid, simmering until tender.
3. Drain meat. In a pot, pour in braising stock, and cook until reduced by half, thickening slightly with flour to make gravy.
4. In a medium-sized pot, sauté onion and carrots, then add potato, braised lamb and gravy.
5. Heat until bubbling and simmer until liquid has reduced by a quarter.
6. Serve with a slice of soda bread.
Yield 4 servings