1 whole chicken, broken down into drumsticks, thighs and breasts
2-3 Tbsp butter (or nitter kibbeh)
3-4 onions, finely chopped
1 Tbsp finely minced garlic
1 Tbsp finely minced ginger
1 Tbsp cardamom
1 Tbsp coriander
1/4 cup Ethiopian berbere
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 cups water
hard boiled eggs, one per person
1. Heat the butter in a Dutch oven. Add the onions and sauté, covered, over low heat until they are golden, stirring occasionally.
2. Add garlic, ginger, cardamom, coriander, berbere, salt and continue to sauté, stirring occasionally for another 20 minutes.
3. Place chicken pieces in a pot of water. Bring to a boil and cook for 10-15 minutes.
4. Add the chicken and 2 cups water to spice mixture
6. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Taste and add more berbere according to heat preference.
8. Add hard boiled eggs and simmer on low heat, covered, for another 15 minutes.
9. Serve hot with rice or injera bread.
Yield 6-7 servings