Chef/Owners Randy Khounnoraj and Korene McCaig
Spicy chile gives a kick to creamy coconut.
2 cloves of garlic
2 fresh Thai chiles
1 stalk of lemongrass, cleaned and chopped
1/2 cup chopped ginger
1/2 cup chopped galangal
small bunch of cilantro stems
2 shallots, chopped
2 cups coconut milk
4 lime leaves
1 cup veg or chicken stock
1 Tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp sugar
salt, to taste
1 package or can of fresh
crispy egg noodles
herbs and chile paste
1. Using a mortar and pestle, mash garlic, Thai chiles, lemongrass, ginger, galangal, cilantro stems and shallots until a rough paste is formed.
2. In a pot, sauté paste until aromatic and starting to brown.
3. Add coconut milk and lime leaves, then bring broth to a boil and let simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Add stock and simmer for another 5 minutes.
5. Strain out paste if desired.
6. Add fish sauce, sugar and salt to broth.
7. Add fresh rice noodles to broth and blanch for 30 seconds.
8. Finish with shredded cabbage, bean sprouts, crispy egg noodles, herbs and chile paste to taste.
Yield 2 servings