Chef Edward Lam
Burdock root is high in fibre and antioxidants
1 cup gobo (burdock roots)
1/2 cup carrots
4 large shiitake mushrooms
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp sake
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1.5 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp mirin
1 tsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp sesame seeds
1. Crumple a piece of tinfoil into a ball and rub onto burdock root to help peel exterior. Julienne with mandolin into thin strips.
2. Peel carrots and julienne into thin strips.
3. Slice shiitake mushrooms finely.
4. On high heat, add oil and burdock sticks in frying pan and cook for a minute. Add carrots and mushrooms and fry for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add sake, soy sauce and sugar until sauce is reduced to half.
6. Add mirin and sesame oil and sesame seeds, mix well.
7. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Yield 4-6 servings