Chef Barbara O’Hara,
Dessert Sinsations Cafe
These golden spheres are coated in a delicate panko crust. The first crunchy bite reveals ham and oozing Velveeta cheese. A peppering of curry adds a kick of heat to these two-bite treats, which are perfect as a midday or midnight snack.
3 cups elbow macaroni, al dente
1 cup sun-dried tomatoes, strained and puréed
1/4 cup butter
1 1/4 cups diced white onion
1 cup whipping cream
2 cups Velveeta cheese, sliced into 1/2″ cubes
2 Tbsp red pepper flakes
2 cups ham sliced into 1/2″ cubes
1 cup panko flakes
1 tsp yellow Indian or madras curry powder
1/4 tsp flour
2 1/8 cups water
oil for deep frying
flour for dredging
1. In a large pan, caramelize onions in butter. Add cream and sundried tomatoes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add cooked pasta and 1 cup of Velveeta, stirring constantly until thickened. Allow to cool.
3. Roll one cube of ham and one cube of cheese into a ball. Tightly pack pasta around mixture until golf ball size. Refrigerate balls until firm.
4. In a bowl, combine egg and water for egg wash.
5. In a shallow bowl, mix panko flakes, curry powder, flour and salt.
6. Dredge balls in flour, then in egg wash. Roll balls in panko flake mixture.
7. A deep frier is recommended, but if not available, heat oil in a large pan over high heat.
8. Deep fry balls until golden brown. Serve with diced tomatoes and ranch dressing.
Yield 24 mini balls