Chef Shaun Ursell,
This garlicky broth is reminiscent of an Italian feast—use slices of crispy grilled bread to sop up the leftovers. Pick up juicy Manila clams at Mariner Neptune.
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
pinch of saffron
pinch of crushed chilli flakes
1 Tbsp garlic, puréed or finely chopped
4 oz chorizo sausage, sliced
1 cup canned artichoke hearts, quartered and drained
2 lbs Manila clams
1/3 cup white wine
1 cup fish stock (may sub in water, veggie or chicken stock)
1/2 cup marinara sauce
sea salt and ground pepper to taste
1 Tbsp chopped parsley
1 loaf Portuguese water bread
extra virgin olive oil to taste
1. In a 4 L sauce pot over medium heat, sauté oil, saffron, chilli, garlic, chorizo and artichokes for 1-2 mins.
2. Add clams, wine, stock and marinara. Simmer for 5-10 mins or until most clams have opened. If sauce reduces too quickly, add water.
3. Discard unopened clams.
4. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley.
1. Slice the loaf into 1″ thick pieces.
2. Drizzle each slice with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Grill bread on barbeque or toast in oven. Serve with clams.
Yield 4 servings