Chef Michael Neil,
A vibrant apricot topping dresses up this Manitoba staple, bringing a candied nuance to the meat. Chef Michael recommends using local pork that is still on the bone and has a small a cap of fat.
4 10 oz Manitoba pork loin chops
3/4 cup chopped apricots
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 1/2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp olive oil
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
4 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp lime juice
2 cups chopped apples
2 cups chopped apricots
1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
1/2 jalapeño pepper, minced
1 Tbsp mustard seeds
1. In a pot on medium-high heat, mix all ingredients and cook until apples are tender and liquid reduces by half.
2. Cool and store in covered container in refrigerator.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together apricot glaze ingredients.
3. In a skillet, brown chops on both sides. Season with salt and pepper and brush one side with apricot glaze.
4. Place on a baking sheet or shallow baking dish and bake for 20 mins.
5. Remove from oven and turn pork over. Glaze second side and return to oven for 10 mins.
6. Remove from oven and rest covered lightly with tin foil for 10 mins.
Yield 4 servings