This is an adaptation of a traditional recipe using similar ingredients to those available at the time of the voyaguers. In our version, the whisky comes from Gimli where the world’s supply of Crown Royal is produced.
Pastry for 8″ pie
¼ tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp vanilla
¾ cup Manitoba maple syrup
½ cup butter
½ cup flour
½ cup dark brown sugar
1 Tbsp Crown Royal whisky
pinch fresh grated nutmeg
1. Line two 8″x 3″ tart pans with pastry.
2. In a small bowl, combine baking soda, vanilla, syrup and whiskey.
3. Pour half into each pastry-lined pan.
4. In another small bowl, combine butter, flour, sugar and nutmeg until crumbly.
5. Sprinkle half of mixture over each tart. Bake at 350°F for about 30 min.
6. Cool before removing from pan.
Yield 4 servings