Chef Masa Sugita,
Yujiro Japanese Restaurant
This is a perfect treat to serve on a hot summer day. Red bean paste adds pleasing sweetness to chewy dumplings in cooling coconut milk.
1 cup coconut milk
6 Tbsp and 2 tsp 2% milk
3 Tbsp and 1 tsp condensed milk
2 tsp green tea powder (matcha)
1 7 oz can red bean paste (optional)
12 Tbsp shiratama (sweet rice flour)
6 Tbsp water
1. In a small pot, heat coconut milk, 2% milk and condensed milk over medium heat for 30 secs.
2. Whisk in green tea powder.
3. Refrigerate milk mixture until cool.
1. In a small bowl, use a handmixer on medium speed to combine shiratama and water until soft.
2. On a cutting board, form a long tube and cut into thumb-sized pieces.
3. Using your palms, roll pieces into a ball.
4. In a medium pot, boil 8 cups water. Add dumplings and cook until they float to the top.
5. Using a spoon, remove dumplings and place in bowl of ice water to cool off.
1. In a serving bowl, place dumplings and add coconut matcha milk.
2. Spoon on red bean paste.
Yield 4-6 servings