Chef Andre Desautel
Promenade Café & Wine
Chef Andre brings culinary comfort food to the ever-popular Promenade Café & Wine kitchen. Mediterranean baked eggs are inspired by the saucy shakshuka; while Norwegian crêpes are a French take on a classic combinations of bagels with lox and cream cheese. Served as a homage to owner Shawn Brandson‘s Scandinavian heritage, crêpes use locally sourced rainbow trout from Watersong Farms in Warren, MB. Trout is smoked at Fort Gibraltar, adding a sweet and woodsy flavour, and the pièce de résistance is Chef Andre’s special smoked trout cure. Visit ciaowinnipeg.com for full smoked trout cure recipe.
Mediterranean Baked Eggs
A creamy, harmonious blend of salty, sweet..and comfort.
2 cups canned plum tomatoes
2 1/4 cups water
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried oregano
pinch of salt
1 tsp sugar
2 large eggs (Nature’s Farm)
1/4 cup feta cheese
1/4 cup spinach
1. In a skillet on low heat, sautée minced garlic and onion until translucent.
2. Increase heat to medium, add plum tomatoes and water. Simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Add basil, thyme, and oregano to the sauce. Stir occasionally until sauce reaches desired taste and consistency.
4. Transfer to blender/food processor to purée. Note: make sure sauce is a little watery to poach eggs.
3. Return sauce to skillet and heat to medium.
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Crack 2 eggs at opposite ends of skillet. Cover and bake until eggs poached at medium consistency (approximately 10 to 12 minutes). Remove from oven.
3. In a skillet, layer sauce and eggs with crumbled feta and spinach. Serve with toast and side of hand-cut pan fries.
Yield 1 serving