Chef Arnold Carreira,
This traditional Portuguese meringue cake has a texture so soft it virtually melts in your mouth. It is an ideal light dessert for a hot summer evening.
12 egg whites
2 cups sugar
1 Tbsp butter, to grease bowl
1 litre milk
12 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 lemon peels
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 400˚F.
2. In a mixer, at medium speed, combine egg whites and sugar. Whip until firm.
3. Grease the interior of a 5 or 6-inch Pyrex bowl with butter.
4. Using a spatula, gently transfer egg white mixture to greased bowl and press down.
5. Set bowl in shallow pan. Fill pan with water until 1/5 of bowl is covered. Bake for 30 minutes.
1. In a saucepan, at low heat, heat milk. Add egg yolks, sugar and lemon.
2. Stir until thickened, approximately 20 minutes. Strain out peel.
1. Invert a shallow 6-inch serving dish and place atop Pyrex bowl. Invert Pyrex bowl so cake falls into shallow serving dish.
2. Cover with sauce and top with slivered almonds.
Yield 10-12 servings