Chef Blue Harland,
The ultimate lakeside cocktail: this creative shooter is a surefire way to get guests’ mouths watering. Spinach, shallot and whiskey are blended into a savoury purée, which could easily double as a light summer sauce for fish or pasta.
1 shallot, minced
1 Tbsp clarified butter
1 pinch coarse sea salt
2 cups roughly chopped spinach
6 blue shell mussels
2 Tbsp rye whiskey
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup unsweetened blood orange juice
1/4 red jalapeño, finely sliced and
brushed with lemon juice
Mussel and Whiskey Shooter
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add shallots and cook until soft.
2. Add mussels and cook until shells open. Remove mussels and set aside.
3. Add spinach and salt. Cook until wilted.
4. Add whiskey, lemon and orange juice. Flame off alcohol while deglazing pan.
5. Pour contents into food processor and purée until smooth.
6. Pour mixture into shooter or port glasses.
7. Remove mussels from shells. Place one mussel in each glass on top of purée.
8. Cool to room temperature.
Garnish with jalapeño ribbon.
Yield 6 servings