Chef Denise Friesen,
Personal Chef/Private Caterer
Chef Denise Friesen is the former Executive Chef of the Winnipeg Winter Club. A prairie-trained chef, she is intrigued by Asian ingredients and techniques, always seeking new ways to incorporate them into her dishes. In Winnipeg, enoki mushrooms are sold in a standard-sized bag at Asian groceries and Superstore.
6 (6-inch) rice paper rounds
12 green onion tops
1 mango cut in 12 matchsticks
12 small Thai basil leaves
1 carrot, finely julienned
1 cup finely shredded green cabbage
1/4 package enoki mushrooms
3 tsp hoisin sauce, divided
1. Soak rice paper rounds in warm water for 1 minute, or until pliable.
2. Remove rounds from water and place on a cotton or paper towel to absorb excess water.
3. Cut in half and lay out on work surface.
4. Working quickly, place 1 green onion, 1 piece mango, one basil leaf, some carrot, cabbage and enoki mushrooms along the straight edge of each rice paper piece, leaving some sticking out of the top.
5. Place a 1/4 tsp of hoisin sauce on the bottom of the ingredients. Roll up each, tucking the bottom.
Yield 12 appetizers