Chef Grant Mitchell,
This classic Italian dessert has been a menu staple at Nicolino’s for more than 20 years. The decadent combination of chocolate, cream and coffee is always irresistible.
1 cup brewed espresso
2 Tbsp frangelico liqueur
2 Tbsp amaretto liqueur
3 tsp sugar
2 cups mascarpone, room temperature
3 cups heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp icing sugar
zest of one lemon
1 1/2 bags ladyfinger cookies (approx 72 cookies)
cocoa powder and cinnamon for dusting
1. In a small shallow pan, combine espresso with sugar and liqueurs.
2. In a bowl, using a hand or stand mixer, whisk mascarpone until creamy. Add cream, lemon zest, vanilla and icing sugar. Continue whisking until stiff peaks form.
3. In a chilled 12″ x 24″ glass baking dish, spread a thin layer of the cream mixture along the bottom.
4. Dip cookies one by one into coffee mixture for a few secs and line them in tray along the short end of the pan. Repeat to form a complete layer.
5. Cover layer with 1/4 of cream mixture. Add another layer of cookies and another 1/4 of cream mixture.
6. Add final layer of cookies and top with remainder of cream.
7. Dust top with cocoa powder and cinnamon. Place in refrigerator and set for 4 hrs.
Yield 12 servings