Umami-rich soy sauce delivers a balance of salt, sweet and a bold hit of heat.
1 Basa fish fillet
4 cloves garlic, minced
5 fresh Thai chilis, minced
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup chicken stock
1 Tbsp light soy sauce
1 Tbsp dark soy sauce
1 Tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
20 fresh Thai basil leaves
1. In a frying pan, fry basil leaves with 1/2 cup oil until crispy. Set aside.
2. In the same pan, add the other 1/2 cup of oil and heat to medium high. Pan fry the fish fillet until crispy golden. Set aside.
3. In the same pan, add garlic and Thai chilis, stirring constantly. Add the rest of ingredients except chicken stock and cook until fragrant.
4. Add chicken stock and heat until sauce is thickened.
5. Plate the fish, add basil leaves on top, pour sauce over and serve.
Yield 2-4 servings