Bakery Chef Roland Gregoire,
Stella’s Café and Bakery
A lot of butter and a little commitment to technique yield flaky, chocolate-filled croissants.
8 3/4 cups all purpose flour
10 tsp fresh yeast
1 cup white sugar
5 tsp salt
3 2/3 cups ice cold milk
2 cups unsalted butter
4 Tbsp water
1/3 cup chopped chocolate
1. Combine flour, yeast, sugar, salt and milk in the large bowl of a mixer fitted with a dough hook.
2. Mix for 1 min on low speed. Increase speed slightly and mix for 4 min to form fully developed dough.
3. Divide dough into 2 equal parts, flatten, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for minimum 30 min.
4. While dough is chilling, cut butter into 2 equal portions, then into 1/2″ slices and set aside on parchment paper. Cover with second piece of parchment, using a rolling pin roll each piece of butter to approximately 12″x12″ squares. Place butter in refrigerator, must reach same temp as dough (17°C-19°C).
5. Using a rolling pin, gently and gradually roll the dough into a uniform rectangle 13″x19″. Place a 12″x12″ piece of butter to one side of the dough, leaving 1/3 exposed. Fold the exposed piece without butter over centre 1/3, then fold the last piece over top.
6. Place on lightly floured tray, cover and refrigerate for 10 min. Repeat steps 5 and 6 with second dough portion.
7. Again with the rolling pin slowly thin the dough out to achieve a 14″x24″ rectangle. Fold in 1/3 sections again, like a business letter. Place on lightly floured tray, cover and refrigerate for 10 min. Repeat with second portion.
8. Again carefully use a rolling pin to thin the dough into a 14″x24″ rectangle. Fold in thirds business letter style. Place on lightly floured tray, cover and refrigerate for at least 10 min. Repeat with second dough potion.
9. Gently roll out into 14″x44″ rectangle. Place on lightly floured surface, cut to make two pieces of 7″x44″.
10. Make egg wash with eggs and water. Apply egg wash to top 1/4″ along length of dough. Place 1/4 of chocolate along the bottom of egg washed section, roll to seal.
11. Repeat for other side, but rather than rolling ‘up’ roll the first side across onto the egg washed section so that the seal lines are face down on table.
12. Cut into 11 equal lengths of 4″. Place on silicon baking tray, repeat for remaining dough.
13. Let rise until doubled in size (1-2 hrs).
14. Preheat oven to 405°F. Bake for 15 min until golden brown colour is achieved.
Yield 44 croissants