Chef/owner Wei Quan Zhu,
These crispy, golden packages represent good fortune and prosperity because of their resemblance to Chinese gold bars. Hint: to steam separate dishes in unison, stack bamboo steamer baskets, with the longest cook time at the bottom.
8 oz bok choy, diced
1 Tbsp minced ginger
3 green onions, minced
pinch of salt
8 oz pork, minced
24 round dumpling wrappers
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
lotus leaves, to line steamer
thick chile dipping sauce
red vinegar, for dipping
1. In a mixing bowl, combine bok choy, ginger, green onion, salt, and pork.
2. Place 1 tsp of pork filling on the centre of each dumpling wrapper.
3. Use fingers to fold wrapper sides together to form a half moon, then pinch the edges closed securely.
4. Place steamer basket in a large pot and add enough water to touch steamer bottom. Remove steamer and bring water to boil.
5. Line steamer with lotus leaves. Arrange dumplings in steamer.
6. Cover and place in boiling water for 10 mins.
7. In a wok, heat oil over medium-high heat.
8. Pan-fry dumplings on each side for 10-12 secs. Turn continuously until they are cooked evenly and golden brown.
9. Serve with chile sauce and red vinegar for dipping.
Yield 2 servings