Chef Fraser MacLeod,
This sweet, salty, slightly spiced butter sauce is a perfect match for any whitefish.
1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
1/4 Tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
1 Tbsp sesame oil
2 Tbsp mirin (sweet cooking oil)
2 Tbsp dark soy sauce
1/4 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tsp garlic chilli sauce (optional)
1 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, diced
4 Black cod filets4 tsp Garlic butter
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. In a mixing bowl or a sealed jar with a tight lid, mix all ingredients except the butter and stir or shake well.
2. Warm sauce in a small pot or pan (try not to boil) and slowly add very cold diced butter (it will thicken quickly). Remove from heat and pour over fish, meat, or vegetables.
1. Heat a heavy bottomed frying pan on medium heat and add a small bit of canola oil (pan is too hot if oil smokes). Remove from heat.
2. Preheat oven to 400 F.
3. Season black cod with a fresh sea salt and pepper. Place the cod meat side down into hot frying pan and return to medium heat.
4. While frying move the fish immediately to prevent sticking. After 1 to 2 minutes lift fish and check if the meat has browned to a chocolate colour. If so, flip fish carefully.
5. Put a small amount of garlic butter on top of the cod and cook in preheated oven for 5 minutes, until inside is opaque. Remove from oven and cover with a lid.
Place on a warm dinner plate and pour warm miring sauce over top. Serve immediately, garnished with fresh lemons and green onions.
Yield 4 servings