Belinda and Carol Bigold,
High Tea Bakery
Passion fruits are plentiful in Australia. Give a tropical zing to traditional butter cookies with one of Carol’s favourite childhood recipes.
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp corn flour
2 Tbsp custard powder
3/4 cup icing sugar
6 Tbsp butter
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup passion fruit juice
1/2 cup butter
1 2/3 cups icing sugar
2 Tbsp passion fruit juice
2 cups icing sugar
2 Tbsp passionfruit juice, or enough to make icing smooth
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, sift dry ingredients. Mix in butter until incorporated.
3. Add yolk and passion fruit juice, and mix to create a firm dough.
4. Turn dough on to a floured surface and knead until smooth. Wrap in cellophane and refrigerate for 30 mins.
5. Roll dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/8″ thick and cut into 1 1/4″ circles. Place circles 1″ apart on parchment-lined baking tray.
6. Bake 10-12 mins.
1. Cream butter and icing sugar. Add juice, and mix until spreadable.
2. Place 1 tsp of creme in centre of half of cookies and spread to edge. Press another cookie on top of filling.
1. Slowly add passion fruit juice to icing sugar. Mix constantly to avoid lumps.
2. Spread 1 tsp on top of each assembled cookie.
Yield 3 dozen