Baker/owner Jonathan McPhail,
Jonnies Sticky Buns
Another taste-of-a-place, Friday’s piña colada number heralds the weekend with its laid-back, tropical sensibility. Relish juicy pineapple morsels fused between caramelized coconut layers.
8 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp fresh yeast
1 1/2-2 cups coconut milk
Filling and Glaze
1 cup butter, at room temp
1 1/2 cups dried, shredded coconut
3 cups pineapple segments
2 cups icing sugar
1/4 cup coconut milk
1. By hand or using an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix together all bun ingredients. Add coconut milk as needed to reach well-blended, slightly sticky consistency.
2. Knead dough for 8-12 mins.
3. Form into smooth ball, place in greased bowl. Cover and let rest approx 1 hr until double in size.
4. On a floured work surface use a floured rolling pin to roll dough into a large rectangle 1/4″ thick.
5. Spread butter evenly over dough. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup coconut and pineapple.
6. Execute steps 6-11 of Into the Woods bun method.
7. Whisk icing sugar and coconut milk together. Spread over buns and finish with a sprinkling of coconut.
Yield 10-12 buns