Warm, spicy bites of syrupy pineapple are complemented by silky white chocolate mousse sporting enchanting and edible pineapple flower garnishes.
1 pineapple, peeled and sliced horizontally into thin discs
1 cup water
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp ginger root, sliced thick
1 pineapple, peeled, cored and diced
1/4 cup dark rum
8 oz white chocolate, diced
1/3 cup milk
2 egg whites
1 cup whipping cream
1. Preheat oven to 200°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Spread out pineapple slices.
2. Bake for 3 hrs. Remove from oven, gently turn “flowers” over. Continue baking for 20 mins.
3. Remove from oven. Mould to desired shape with fingers. Will keep for 2 days in an airtight container.
1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring water, brown sugar and ginger to a boil.
2. Reduce heat to a simmer. Stir in pineapple. Cook until fruit is tender, about 8 mins. Add rum and simmer for 2 min.
3. Over a medium bowl, strain pineapple. Set aside fruit and syrup.
1. In a double boiler, melt chocolate over medium heat. Transfer chocolate to medium bowl and whisk in milk. Set aside.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until stiff.
3. Gently fold 1/3 of egg whites into tepid chocolate mixture. Fold in remaining egg whites.
4. In a separate bowl, use electric mixer to whip cream. In two stages, fold whipped cream into chocolate mixture.
1. Spoon pineapple into parfait vessels. Add syrup until fruit is just submerged.
2. Add mousse layer and garnish with a pineapple
Yield 8-10 servings