Silky swirls of luscious buttercream wrap this moist, soft cake in a luxurious blanket.
1 cup cocoa
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup milk
1/2 cup eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 cup boiling water
1 cup butter
4 cups icing sugar
2 tbsp milk
1 tbsp vanilla extract (optional)
2-3 Tbsp pureed raspberries or raspberry jam (optional)
1-2 Tbsp cocoa powder (optional)
1. Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Add oil and eggs one at a time.
2. Stir in milk, then boiling water. Scrape bowl often as mixture gets lumpy.
3. Pour into a greased 8” round cake pan.
4. Bake at 350°F for 30-40 min, until set in the middle.
Yield 1 cake
1. Cream butter
2. Gradually add icing sugar, milk, and vanilla
3. Beat for approx. 5 min until light and fluffy.
4. For vanilla flavoured icing, add vanilla extract. For raspberry icing, add in pureed raspberries or jam. For chocolate icing, add cocoa powder.
Yield 2 ½ cups
1. Make 2 batches of buttercream icing and mix in desired flavouring.
2. Fit the end of a pastry bag with a 1B or 1C piping tip and fill the bag half way with the icing.
3. Start in the middle and draw a lower case e with icing. One swirl around should create a small rosette. Continue around that first center flower and keep swirling, making sure to touch the edges of the neighbouring flower.
4. Continue on top and sides of cake.