Chef Eric Lee,
These brawny bites of beef, pork and veal are flavourful enough to be served solo.
1 onion, roughly chopped
6 garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 carrot, finely grated
1 1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup dry herb mix (thyme, parsley, oregano)
4 Tbsp salt
1/2 cup grated pecorino
500 g ground beef
500 g ground pork
500 g ground veal
1/4 cup chicken stock
1 jar tomato sauce
A few fresh basil leaves and shaved Parmesan for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Combine the onions and garlic in a food processor, puree until smooth.
2. Combine the carrots with the onion and garlic mixture. Add other ingredients, combine.
3. Mix thoroughly with ground meats.
4. Portion out with an ice cream scoop onto sheet pans lined with parchment paper. Ensure proper spacing and air flow for even cooking.
5. Cook for 20 mins. Check to see if juices are running clear, or cut a ball in half to check doneness.
6. Once cooled, meatballs will freeze well in airtight Ziplock freezer bags.
1. Place desired amount of meatballs in a pot. Add stock and your favourite tomato sauce. The stock will prevent the sauce from burning in the pot.
2. Heat meatballs slowly on the stove over medium heat.
3. Let meatballs lightly simmer, about 10 mins.
4. Serve with shaved Parmesan and freshly torn basil.
Yield 60 meatballs