Chef Andy Arjoon,
Billabong Bar & Bistro
Popular pumpkin and dense dates are happily married in this
rich pudding topped with sweet ‘n’ sassy rum sauce.
butter to cover
sugar to cover
1 cup flour
2 tsp baking power
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp honey
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup pumpkin purée
1/2 cup chopped, pitted dates
1 tsp vanilla
6 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup 2 Tbsp water
4 oz Bundaberg Rum
1 tsp rum extract
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
3 firm pears, peeled, cored and quartered
zest of half an orange
1/2 tsp cinnamon
whipped cream to serve
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F.
2. Butter and sugar to coat 4 small ramekins.
3. In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients, except for egg whites, thoroughly using a spatula.
4. Fold egg whites into mixture slowly. Spoon pudding into ramekins and bake for around 20 mins or until spongy in centre.
5. Cool in ramekins for 5 mins.
6. Carefully place puddings onto wire rack and cool to room temperature.
1. In a heavy saucepan, place sugar and 2 Tbsp water. Caramelize over medium-high heat for 5 mins.
2. Remove pan from heat. Add 1 cup water and rum. Dissolve caramel over medium-high heat. Add remaining ingredients.
3. Simmer over low heat for 1/2 hr-1 hr until pears are tender.
4. Remove pears and reduce syrup to light consistency. Cool to room temp.
1. Garnish pudding with whipped cream, pears and syrup.
Yield 4 servings