Chef Jonathan Buffie and Pastry Chef Doug Krahn,
2 1/4 cups flour
9 oz butter
1/3 cup 1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 Tbsp vinegar
2 1/2 cups sugar, divided
1 cup cornstarch
11 egg yolks
1 L homogenized milk
1/2 L heavy cream
3/4 cup melted white chocolate
85 fresh strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 360˚F.
2. In a food processor, add flour, butter and sugar. Pulse until mixed. Add vinegar. Pulse until crumbly.
3. Press dough into 17 tart shell moulds with removeable bottoms.
4. Bake tarts for 28 minutes until golden brown. Cool.
1. In a bowl, combine half the sugar, cornstarch and egg yolks.
2. In a heavy saucepan, bring milk, cream and remaining sugar to a boil.
3. Slowly whisk milk mixture into yolk mixture.
4. Pour mixture back into saucepan and cook out cornstarch for 3-4 minutes, until it has the consistency of glue.
5. Place mixture in a container and put a cover of plastic wrap directly on cream to prevent a skin from forming.
6. Let cool, then refrigerate.
7. Pulse cream in food processor for a few minutes before using.
1. Paint tart shell with melted white chocolate.
2. Fill shells with cooled pastry cream and decorate with strawberries.
Yield 17 tarts