Chef Ben Kramer
Diversity Food Services
Waste not, want not: this dish uses the whole radish. Miso butter is a complex flavour addition to the peppery root vegetable.
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 Tbsp brown rice miso paste
1/4 tsp hemp seeds
1/4 tsp ground chile flakes
3 bunches or so assorted radishes (fresh, with nice tops)
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 tsp rice vinegar
1. To make the miso butter, combine butter, miso, chile flakes, and hemp seeds in a small bowl and mash with the back of a spoon until well mixed.
2. Trim the greens from the radishes. Wash and roughly chop. Wash the radishes and halve, quarter, or leave hole depending on the size.
3. Heat coconut oil in a cast iron pan over medium high heat. Add radishes and sear until golden brown. Stir or toss until crisp and tender.
4. Reduce heat slightly. Add radish tops and splash with white wine. Allow wine to cook out for about 30 seconds. Season with coarse salt.
5. Remove from heat and add miso butter. Stir to create a simple pan sauce and glaze the radishes and greens. Add vinegar.
6. Taste and season if needed.
Yield 4 servings