Co-owner Tabitha Langel,
Tall Grass Prairie Bakery
chocolate mud pie with red river cereal
In the mid-1800s the Red River Cart ruled the prairie trails. It was particularly useful for traversing the muddy gumbo of the Red River Valley flood plain. This Manitoba icon is also the symbol of Red River Cereal, which was invented here in 1924.
1/2 200 g package chocolate wafers
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup Red River Cereal
2 litres chocolate ice cream, softened
1 cup chocolate fudge sauce
1. Crush chocolate wafers, mix in butter and Red River Cereal.
2. Set aside part of mixture for topping.
3. Press balance of mixture into 9-inch springform pan and bake at 350˚F for 10 minutes. Allow to cool.
4. Spoon ice cream onto crust. Freeze 8-10 hours.
5. Top with remaining wafer mixture and heated fudge sauce prior to serving.