Chef Denesh Bahadoosingh,
2 1/2-3 pounds chicken (any pieces) seasoned with 1/2 teaspoon each of the following:
chives, chopped garlic, ketchup, chopped parsley, pepper, salt, soy sauce, thyme, worcestershire sauce
2-3 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/4-1/2 cup sugar
1-3 hot peppers, minced
2 cups rice, rinsed, uncooked
1 large onion, sliced
1 sweet pepper, chopped
1-1 1/2 cups soaked pigeon peas (dhal)
Salt & pepper, to taste
2 cups coconut milk
2 cups water
1. Coat chicken with seasoning and marinate at least one hour.
2. In a large, heavy iron pot or skillet, heat oil. Add sugar and allow to turn dark brown.
3. Add seasoned meat and stir until pieces are well coated with sugar. Add hot peppers and brown for five minutes.
4. Stir in uncooked rice, cooking for 3 minutes and turning often until well blended.
5. Add onion, sweet peppers and peas. Stir-fry for a few seconds.
6. Add salt, pepper, coconut milk and water. Bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and let simmer until rice is cooked and all liquid has evaporated (About 25-30 minutes).
Yield 6 servings