Culinary Team Canada
1/2 loaf white bread crust on, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 loaf brown bread crust on, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 lb (225 g) white mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
Salt & black pepper, to taste
1/2 large spanish onion, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 Tbsp chopped fresh sage
1/2 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
1 medium Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced
1/4 cup walnut pieces
1 cup chicken stock
10 lbs (4.5 kg) whole turkey, fresh or frozen, thawed
2 cups chicken stock
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3 Tbsp flour
Water, as needed
1. Preheat oven to 250˚F.
2. Spread diced bread evenly on a cookie sheet and bake for five minutes to dry (or use day-old bread).
3. Put cooled bread into a mixer fitted with a dough hook.
4. In a no-stick pan, sauté mushrooms with salt and pepper until all the liquid has evaporated. Add to the bowl of diced bread.
5. In the same pan, sauté onions, celery, sage and thyme over medium heat until onions are translucent. Add to bread mixture followed by diced apple and walnut pieces.
6. Add chicken stock to the bread mixture, season and combine all ingredients thoroughly. Set aside.
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F. Coat roasting pan with no-stick spray.
2. Remove neck and giblets from turkey. Rinse the cavity well with cold water and pat dry with paper towel. Fill the chest and neck cavities with the prepared stuffing. Truss with butcher’s string and place in a roasting pan.
3. Cover the turkey with foil and roast for 2 hours.
4. Remove foil and roast turkey uncovered for an additional hour.
5. Remove turkey from roasting pan and place on a serving platter. Cover well with foil and a heavy blanket (car blanket, parka, sleeping bag, etc). Allow to rest for 30 minutes.
1. While turkey is resting, skim all impurities from roasting juices and strain into a sauce pan to make gravy. Add chicken stock, Worcestershire sauce and simmer for five minutes.
2. In a bowl, mix together flour and enough cold water to obtain the consistency of a runny paste. Add paste to the simmering pan juices and stir well with a whisk to avoid lumps. Simmer for 5-10 minutes. Adjust seasonings if necessary.
1. Remove stuffing from turkey and transfer to a serving dish. Carve turkey. Serve with gravy.
Yield 10 servings