Chef Kim Hayes,
Just Off Broadway
Combine after dinner drinks and dessert with this play on a holiday favourite.
3/4 cup wild rice
2 1/2 cups water
2 butternut squash
2 generous Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
Salt & pepper, to taste
1 large onion
2 Tbsp butter
9 cloves roasted garlic
3 Litres (approx. 12 cups) vegetable stock
2 bay leaves
1 heaping Tbsp rosemary
1 heaping Tbsp oregano
Butternut squash seeds
Olive oil, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Add wild rice to water and simmer for approximately 40 minutes or until cooked al dente.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F.
3. Cut squash in half and remove seeds. Reserve seeds for garnish.
4. Season the squash with olive oil, sugar and salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until squash becomes soft and golden. Scrape flesh from skin and discard skin.
5. In a large saucepan, sauté the onions in butter until lightly browned. Add carrots and garlic and sauté until carrots are soft. Add the squash and stir well. Slowly add the vegetable stock and remaining seasonings.
6. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
7. Place mixture in a blender and purée until smooth.
1. Season washed seeds with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast in oven until brown, about 15 minutes.
2. Pour soup into bowl. Spoon wild rice in and sprinkle seeds on top.
Yield 2.5 Litres