Executive Chef Michael Dacquisto,
This is an excellent recipe to use with that ultra-high quality extra virgin olive oil you’ve been saving. The fruity notes of the oil will shine through.
4 ripe, sweet red peppers
1 head romaine lettuce
3 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly shaved
110 g chevre (goat cheese)
4 tsp basil, chopped
4 tsp parsley, chopped
4 tsp chives, chopped
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1. Remove and discard outer leaves of romaine and wash thoroughly.
2. Cut romaine lengthwise into four sections.
3. Under a broiler or on a barbecue, roast peppers until skins blacken slightly.
4. Place hot peppers in a sealing freezer bag and set aside 10 min to let the skins loosen.
5. Peel skins from peppers gently with your hands. If necessary, use a paring knife, using extra care not to tear the peppers.
6. Slice peppers in half lengthwise and scrape out seeds and inner core.
7. Slice lengthwise into quarter inch strips.
8. Whisk together olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Add peppers and garlic. Refrigerate for one hour.
9. When ready to serve, fan out a section of romaine in the centre of each plate.
10. Lay 1/4 of the pepper mixture over each romaine fan.
11. Crumble 1/4 of goat cheese over each plate.
12. Sprinkle with 1/4 of herbs.
Yield 4 servings