Chef Eraj Jayawickreme
The Velvet Glove
Let creativity lead the way for this piece of edible artwork making use of cold weather staple, root vegetables.
1 yellow beet, boiled and pureed
1 red beet, boiled and pureed
1 yellow beet, cut into assorted shapes
1 red beet, cut into assorted shapes
6 baby carrots
2 parsnips, peeled and roasted
6 radishes, thinly sliced
7 red pearl onions
Chia seeds soaked in vinegar
2 stalks celery
12 quail eggs, cooked and peeled
1 3/4 cups sea salt
1 3/4 cups water
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
Root Vegetable Salad
1. Take 3 of the baby carrots and cut in half length wise. Toss with a little salt and pepper and hatch mark on barbeque grill.
2. Use a vegetable peeler to slice long strips off the celery stalks. Place in ice water, which curls up the strips.
Salt Roasted Turnips and Celeriac
1. In a large bowl, mix together the salt, flour and water. Cover dough with cling film and chill for 20 minutes.
2. Wash the turnips and celeriac and dry thoroughly. Turn the dough out onto a floured board then use pieces to individually wrap each turnip and celeriac. Place the turnips and celeriac on a baking tray then bake at 350°F for 40 minutes. Let cool.
5. Once cold, peel off the pastry then slice the turnips and celeriac thinly with a mandolin or vegetable slicer.
Randomly assemble all items on plate and drizzle with olive oil.
Yield 4 servings.