Chef Terry Gereta,
Chef Terry Gereta gets his scallops imported from Digby, Nova Scotia. He also uses ABC brand sweet soy sauce. This sauce and the fermented black beans are available at Asian grocery stores.
Wine pairing: Peninsula Ridge Estates Winery Inox Chardonnay
5 oz cooked soba noodles
Canola oil, trace
2 Tbsp sweet soy sauce
Juice of half an orange
Few drops roasted sesame oil
Few drops chile oil
1 Tbsp roasted peanuts
1 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp fermented black beans
Vegetable oil, trace
12 large scallops
Salt & pepper, to taste
Sprig of cilantro
1. In a saucepan, boil 2 cups water. Add noodles and cook for 4-5 minutes until just done.
2. Cool in an ice bath.
3. Drain and coat noodles with a small amount of canola oil, just so the noodles won’t stick.
1. Combine all ingredients and set aside.
1. Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until crumbly, not powdered.
1. In a saucepan, heat vegetable oil. Sear scallops until lightly brown on both sides. Season with salt and pepper.
1. Add sauce to chilled soba noodles.
2. Stir in peanut crumble.
3. Divide noodles into four bowls. Top each with three scallops.
4. Garnish with cilantro leaves, bean sprouts and orange zest.
Yield 4 servings