Loaded with lime, cilantro and basil, this made-for-sharing soup will brighten any fall supper.
5 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 small white onion, thinly sliced
5 cups chicken broth
3 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp lime juice
1/2 tsp hot chilli flakes
2 Tbsp fish sauce
1 lb shrimp, deveined and shells removed
1 cup pineapple chunks
2 large tomatoes, cut into 1/2″ wedges
1 large taro root, cut into 1/4″ slices
2 cups bean sprouts
2 green onions, sliced
1 small bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
1 small bunch Thai basil, coarsely chopped
1 jalapeño, sliced
1. In a large frying pan, heat oil over med-high heat.
2. Add onions and fry for 10 mins. Set aside.
3. In a large sauce pot over high heat, add chicken broth, sugar, lime juice, chilli flakes and fish sauce.
4. Bring to a boil and add shrimp, pineapple, tomato, taro root and bean sprouts.
5. Cook for about 3 mins or until shrimp turns pink.
6. Using a slotted spoon, remove shrimp, pineapple, tomato, taro root and bean sprouts from pot and pour into five bowls.
7. Boil broth for an additional 2 mins and pour in bowls.
8. Garnish with fried and green onions, cilantro, basil and jalapeño.
Yield 5 servings