Chef Stéphane Wild,
Bistro Chez Sophie
A palate-pleasing combination of salty smoked salmon and creamy Béchamel sauce is packed into these cheesy, chewy, cover-worthy crêpes.
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp canola oil
2 cups homogenized milk
2 Tbsp butter
1/3 cup flour
2 cups milk
1/4 tsp nutmeg
salt and pepper, to taste
1 Tbsp Béchamel sauce
1 white onion, thinly sliced
36 thin slices of smoked salmon
1 tsp dried oregano
half a lemon
24 slices of Brie or Camembert
1. In a large bowl, vigorously whisk together eggs, salt, oil and 1 cup of milk. Whisk well, then add remaining milk.
2. Let batter sit rest 20-30 mins.While batter is resting, prepare the Béchamel sauce (method following).
3. After 30 mins, use paper towel to oil a flat skillet. Heat at medium heat.
4. Use a swirling motion to distribute half a ladle full of batter to cover pan, making a thin crêpe.
5. Cook for 2-5 mins per side until golden brown. Continue with remaining batter. Stack together on a plate.
1. Melt butter in a medium-sized pot over medium heat.
2. Add flour to make a roux. Heat for a few secs then add half of milk, whisking vigorously.
3. Add remaining milk, continuing to mix at medium heat until all the lumps are smoothed out.
4. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Lay 2 crêpes flat on counter.
3. Add 1 Tbsp of Béchamel to each.
4. Add a few slices of the onion, 2-3 pieces of smoked salmon and a pinch of oregano to each. Squeeze lemon juice over each.
5. To fold, bring each side together in centre then again with opposite sides. Add 2 slices of Camembert on top of each folded crêpe.
6. Bake for 10 mins or until cheese is melted. Serve hot.
Yield 6 servings