Chef Joe Wojakowski,
Fort Garry Hotel
Slices of pink smoked salmon replace traditional back bacon and offers a twist on this traditional breakfast dish.
8 English muffins
8 slices smoked salmon
butter for spreading
1 1/4 cups unsalted butter
1/4 cup cold water
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1/2 Tbsp crushed peppercorns
4 egg yolks
juice of half a lemon
salt to taste
1. Toast muffin halves and spread with butter.
2. In simmering water, poach eggs for 2 mins or until desired tenderness.
3. Place slices of smoked salmon on top of each muffin.
4. Drain poached eggs and place on top of fish.
1. In a saucepan, melt butter on low heat and bring slowly to a boil.
2. Skim off froth from the surface and pour liquid butter into a bowl. Take care not to include any of the milky sediment from the bottom of the pan. It should be the colour of a light olive oil.
3. In a small saucepan, combine water, vinegar and pepper over low heat. Once mixed, reduce heat by 1/3 and let cool.
4. Whisk in egg yolks.
5. Set saucepan over low heat and continue to whisk. Gradually increase heat source. Sauce should slowly emulsify, becoming creamy after 8-10 mins.
6. Take saucepan off heat. Gradually whisk in butter. Season with salt to taste.
7. Pass sauce through fine mesh sieve, stir in lemon juice and ladle sauce over eggs immediately.
Yield 8 servings