Chef Michael Schafer,
Sydney’s At The Forks
This palate cleanser playfully displays the cheese as an ice cream cone while presenting the sorbet as sliced cheese.
1 pint fresh strawberries, chopped
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 egg white
3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
57g grated Parmigiano Reggiano
170g Cambozola cheese, creamed
1. Preheat oven to 400˚F.
2. In a saucepan over med-high heat, bring strawberries, sugar and water to a boil. Simmer until strawberries are fork tender. Purée and chill.
3. Blend egg white and vinegar with strawberry mixture. Pour into in a stainless steel bowl and freeze, stirring once every 20 min until frozen.
4. On a parchment-lined cookie sheet, spread Parmigiano into four even, thin piles. Bake until they start to crisp, approximately 4-6 min.
5. While crisps are still pliable, form each into a cone. Place each cone in a small circle of cheese such as mozzarella with the middle dug out.
6. Scoop Cambozola into cones.
Yield 4 servings