Chef Ben Kramer,
Serve this bubbly soup with your favourite cookie. Adjust the amount of sugar to the sweetness of the melon.
2 tart apples, peeled and roughly chopped
½ honey dew melon, peeled, seeded and roughly chopped
1 ½ cup water
¾-1 cup cane sugar
¼ freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tsp lemon zest
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp fresh Thai basil leaves, chopped
1 cup champagne or sparkling wine
1. In a heavy saucepan over med-high heat, bring apples, honey dew, water, sugar, orange juice, lemon zest and lemon juice to boil.
2. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, 20 min. Remove from heat.
3. Add basil and purée in a blender or with an immersion blender. Chill.
4. Just prior to serving, stir in champagne or sparkling wine.
5. Garnish with Thai basil florets.
Yield 4 servings