Owner/Chef Tomas Sohlberg & Anneen DuPlessis
Use your favourite Louisiana-style (cayenne-based) hot sauce for authentic Buffalo flavour. Boon custom orders vegan burger buns from Stella’s Bakery.
2 Tbsp oil
2 cups onions, sliced
1 Tbsp fresh garlic, minced
1 vegan chicken-flavoured bouillon cube, crumbled
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp garlic salt or powder
1 tsp black pepper
2 cups cooked rice
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oats
1/2 pack firm tofu, crumbled into small pieces
8-10 burger buns
1/2 cup celery, sliced
8-10 leaves lettuce
1 tomato, sliced
1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
hot sauce, to taste
1. In a large pot, combine oil, onions, garlic, bouillon, lemon juice, salt, garlic salt/powder, and black pepper and sauté over medium heat for 20-30 minutes, until onion mixture is cooked and golden. Remove from heat.
2. Mix in cooked rice, stirring well. Rice should be free of clumps and well combined.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, oats, and tofu. Mix all ingredients together. Remove 1 cup of mixture and process in a food processor until smooth. Return processed mixture to large batch and combine well. Shape mixture into patties.
4. Preheat oven to 390°F. For more texture, patties can be coated in breading of your choice.
5. Bake for 20 minutes, then flip patties. Bake for another 10-15 minutes.
1. Grill or toast burger buns.
2. Layer on sliced celery, lettuce, tomato, and red onion.
3. Baste the patty in your favourite hot sauce. Add patty to bun.
Yield 8-10 burgers