Vietnamese spring rolls use rice wrappers rather than wheat flour ones.
1/2 lb ground pork
2 tsp chopped green onion
1/4 lb peeled shrimp
1/4 tsp white pepper
2 tsp chopped cilantro
4 tsp chopped white onion
2 tsp chopped green cabbage
4 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp sesame oil cooking oil, for frying
8 pieces of Vietnamese round rice paper
1/2 head of lettuce, chopped
1. In a bowl, mix together all ingredients except for rice paper. Stir in one direction until the mixture is thick and sticky (about 10 minutes).
2. Soak rice papers in hot water for 1 minute and then lay flat on a smooth clean surface.
3. Put 1/4 of the pork mixture onto 2 of the rice papers. Wrap from left to right to form an eggroll shape.
4. Put the rolls into a medium pot of boiling oil and cook for 10 minutes.
5. Remove from oil and set aside to absorb any excess oil.
6. Put rolls on top of chopped lettuce and serve with sauce.
Yield 8 spring rolls
Dipping sauce, mix 1/2 tsp chopped garlic, 1/8 tsp chopped hot pepper, 1/2 tsp sugar, 1 tsp vinegar, 2 tsp cold water and 1/2 tsp fish sauce.