Chefs Marion Robinson and Peter Long,
The Star Conservatory Restaurant
The Star Conservatory Restaurant’s pretty-as-a-picture salad is made even more whimsical with chocolate curls that add a sweet finish.
Sesame Balsamic Vinaigrette
3/4 cup olive and canola oil
1 Tbsp sesame oil
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp black sesame seeds
1/4 tsp white sesame seeds, toasted
1/4 tsp minced garlic
salt and pepper to taste
4 cucumber slices, cut lengthwise or mandolined
one bag (142 g) spring mix greens
1/4 cup grated carrots
1/3 cup diced roasted red pepper
1/2 red onion, sliced into rings
1/4 cup sliced strawberries
Belgian chocolate curls
1 small bar Belgian chocolate, milk or dark
1. Shake all ingredients together. Store refrigerated for up to 2 weeks. Shake well before each use.
1. Make sure chocolate bar is at room temperature.
2. Slowly draw a vegetable peeler lengthwise down the side of chocolate.
3. Refrigerate curls for 10 mins to set.
1. Curl cucumber into a ring on plate and pinch at end.
2. Fill centre with a handful of mixed greens.
3. Carefully place carrots, roasted red pepper, red onion and strawberry on top.
4. Drizzle with dressing.
5. Garnish with chocolate.
Yield 4 servings