Chef Tristan Foucault,
With a little careful trimming, this revered primal delight is entirely achievable at home.
3 shallots, sliced thin rounds
oil for frying
1.5 lb eye of round
2 medium shallots, minced
2 Tbsp capers, chopped
8 cornichon, diced small
2 Tbsp parsley, chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil
5 Tbsp aïoli or mayonnaise
1 baguette sliced and toasted
1. Bring a small pot of canola oil to 350°F.
2. Toss the shallot rounds in flour and deep fry until crispy.
3. Clean the eye of round by slicing off the outside surface to 1 mm deep. Place the cleaned meat on a new cutting board, ensuring that it does not touch any surfaces that the original piece of meat touched. Doing this will help prevent contamination.
4. Dice the meat by first cutting it into ¼” slices. Stack a few slices on one another and slice them lengthwise. Once sliced, the strips are easily diced very small.
5. Combine meat with minced shallots, capers, cornichon, parsley, olive oil and aïoli.
6. Season to taste with salt, Tabasco and Worcestershire.
7. Top with shallot rounds and serve with toasted baguette.
Yield 6 servings