A little champagne adds a hint of romance to this classic pastry dough. Strawberries are the sweet surprise hidden inside for your loved one.
6 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp lemon zest
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 lb lard
2 eggs, beaten
1 Tbsp champagne
1 tsp sugar
Quarter strawberrries and mix with sugar, zest and vanilla.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Mix flour and lard with pastry cutter until dough resembles coarse oatmeal.
3. Beat 1 egg in measuring cup.Add champagne to egg. Fill with water to 1-cup mark. Whisk.
4. Slowly add egg mixture to dry ingredients until forming a ball.
5. Separate dough into six sections. Roll out each section to 1/2″ thickness.
1. Slice dough into shape of a house (5″x3″ rectangle with triangular roof). Cut another 5″x3″ rectangle for front of envelope.
2. Score edges of dough and brush with beaten egg.
3. Place 1 heaping Tbsp of filling in centre of house-shaped dough. Place second rectangle over filling. Match and seal corners by gently pushing together. Fold over triangle to seal love letter.
4. Brush outside with beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar. Bake on greased pan for 15-20 mins.
Yield 6 servings