Pastry Chef Melissa Buiskool-Leeuwma,
Light and airy, the strawberry pavlova is perfect for Easter.
2 cups cold egg whites (chill in fridge)
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
2 1/2 cups sugar
4 1/2 cups 35 per cent cream
1/2 cup icing sugar
4 cups strawberries, quartered
2 cups lemon yogurt (or your favourite flavour)
6 whole strawberries for garnish
1/2 cup blueberries for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 300˚F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on high speed until stiff peaks form.
3. Gradually add sugar while whites are still whipping. Once all sugar is added, whip for an additional 5 mins until smooth and glossy.
4. Line cookie sheets with parchment or wax paper.
5. With your hands, form 2 round circles of meringue about 7″ wide on each cookie sheet.
6. Bake for 2 1/2-3 hrs until each pavlova doubles in size. Let cool.
1. In a large mixing bowl, beat cream and icing sugar on medium speed until stiff peaks form.
1. Using roughly 3/4 of the whipped cream mixture, pipe or spread the whipped cream on the top border of the bottom meringue layer.
2. Spread remaining 1/4 of whipped cream mixture on the centre of the bottom layer.
3. Place quartered strawberries and preserves on top of whipped cream layer.
4. Top strawberries with yogurt.
5. Dust the other pavlova layer with icing sugar and gently place on bottom layer.
6. Top with 6 whole strawberries and blueberries.
Yield 10-12 servings