2 lbs boneless blade steak
1 large onion, minced
1 tsp garlic
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup red wine
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 small onion, diced
1 Tbsp butter
1/4 lb mushrooms, sliced
1 small red pepper, diced
1 tsp garlic
1 sprig fresh rosemary, finely chopped
4 oz gorgonzola, or other blue cheese
1/4 cup cashews
1/4 cup bread crumbs
Salt & pepper, to taste
1. Cut the steak into four even slices. Pound slices to 1/4 inch thick. Lay flat in a shallow pan. Set aside.
1. In a bowl, combine marinade ingredients. Pour over steaks. Let marinate for a few hours or overnight.
1. In a saucepan, sauté onions in butter until golden. Add mushrooms, peppers, garlic and rosemary. Sauté until mushrooms are soft. Cool.
2. Crumble gorgonzola, combine with onion mix, egg, cashews, and bread crumbs. Season with salt and pepper.
1. Remove steaks from marinade, pat dry with paper towel.
2. Place 1/4 of filling in a log along the bottom 1/3 of each steak, leaving 1 inch at each side.
3. Fold bottom third of steak over to cover filling. Fold in sides. Roll steak and tie with butcher’s twine.
4. In a skillet, sear roll on all sides. Place in a baking dish with a 1/4 cup of red wine. Cover. Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes.
5. Slice roll at an angle to serve.
Yield 4 servings