Chefs Doug Krahn and Betty Lai,
The classic Christmas cookie looks as good as it tastes thanks to crushed candy cane and cranberry-hued royal icing.
3 Tbsp meringue powder
4 cups sifted icing sugar
6 Tbsp warm water
3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
8 oz unsalted butter (room temperature)
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla
crushed candy cane for garnish
1. Using a stand mixer, beat meringue, icing sugar and water at low speed for a few mins. Then turn speed to medium/high until icing forms peaks.
Yield 3 cups
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar using a stand mixer at medium speed until fluffy.
4. Beat in eggs one at a time into the butter mixture. Add vanilla.
5. Add dry ingredients to wet mixture and blend until dough forms.
6. Roll out the dough.
7. Using a mitten cookie cutter, cut shapes and place on baking sheet.
8. Cook for 8-10 mins until golden brown on bottom.
9. Cool for 30 mins before icing.
1. Place 1/2 cup white royal icing in a plastic sandwich bag. 2. Angle bag so icing is in one corner. Cut the corner tip as a piping bag. Pipe the outline of mitten.
3. In a small bowl, add desired amount of food colouring paste to 2 cups royal icing. Mix until colour is completely blended in.
3. Thin out coloured icing with water, adding a few drops at a time until you reach desired honey-like consistency.
4. Fill a new sandwich bag with coloured icing, cut tip and fill in the mitten.
5. Sprinkle with crushed candy cane if desired. Let dry overnight.
Yield 48 cookies